On Tuesday 29 January 2002 03:20 pm, Andre Dubuc wrote:

> The problem with my LM8.0 configuration for Apache is that it doesn't have
> those lines "AddType" in any of the .conf files! I wondered what they were
> talking about -- and I have checked them all!
>
> In desperation, I finally decided to go source. I d/l the binary from
> Apache, and after my first attempt, I still cannot see my test file. I'll
> have to check my PHP config.

I think my version of Apache is pretty recent. You don't have a file
"commonhttpd.conf" in /etc/httpd/conf? Maybe do a find?

This is about half-way through my commonhttpd.conf, and I just uncommented
the last two lines:

 # AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or to
 # make certain files to be certain types.
 #
 # For example, the PHP 3.x module (not part of the Apache distribution - see
 # http://www.php.net) will typically use:
 #
 #AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
 #AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
 #
 # And for PHP 4.x, use:
 #
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

I guess the nice thing about installing it from Mandrake disc is that it's
already configured. I didn't touch any PHP file. Is moving up to 8.1 (or
soon, 8.2) an option?

> Perhaps, that's the problem: I'm unclear where any files that I make should
> go. Are they supposed to be put in the /htdocs area in apache's directory?
> Will they work from elsewhere? I've also set up a /public_html directory in
> personal home directory.

My web files go in /var/www/html. If your root is /htdocs, that's where I
would put them. I'm not sure but what you may need to give permission to
normal users to use PHP.

Maybe try alt.os.linux.mandrake, a PHP or Apache group.

Todd