Hi Todd,

Just received your message today (Feb 1st!). In the meantime, I dumped the
LM8.0 versions of Apache/PHP and tried source. Not much better.

Anyway, I re-installed LM8.0 versions and, yes, in commonhttpd.conf there are
those lines which I uncommented. Now, either as user or root, with the test
file in /var/www/html, I still get text.

So, how did you activate php? What did you do if you wanted to run a test to
see if it was working? Where did you do it from (and did you try as user with
permissions to the group apache? What should I expect to see? Unfortunately,
I've trashed Netscape's mime-types after trying manually to insert the type:
whenever I try a php file, it asks me where I want to save it. If only I
could remember where I deleted entries like that in Netscape . . . :>

This has gone beyond an obsession. I've sort of lost track exactly why I want
php installed, if the installtion causes so much grief, what about when it's
in use?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. If you've got any other suggestions to get this
php thing php-ing, I I love to hear them!

Regards,
Andre

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 17:15, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 03:20 pm, Andre Dubuc wrote:
> > The problem with my LM8.0 configuration for Apache is that it doesn't
> > have those lines "AddType" in any of the .conf files! I wondered what
> > they were talking about -- and I have checked them all!
> >
> > In desperation, I finally decided to go source. I d/l the binary from
> > Apache, and after my first attempt, I still cannot see my test file. I'll
> > have to check my PHP config.
>
> I think my version of Apache is pretty recent. You don't have a file
> "commonhttpd.conf" in /etc/httpd/conf? Maybe do a find?
>
> This is about half-way through my commonhttpd.conf, and I just uncommented
> the last two lines:
>
>  # AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or
> to # make certain files to be certain types.
>  #
>  # For example, the PHP 3.x module (not part of the Apache distribution -
> see # http://www.php.net) will typically use:
>  #
>  #AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
>  #AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
>  #
>  # And for PHP 4.x, use:
>  #
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
>
> I guess the nice thing about installing it from Mandrake disc is that it's
> already configured. I didn't touch any PHP file. Is moving up to 8.1 (or
> soon, 8.2) an option?
>
> > Perhaps, that's the problem: I'm unclear where any files that I make
> > should go. Are they supposed to be put in the /htdocs area in apache's
> > directory? Will they work from elsewhere? I've also set up a /public_html
> > directory in personal home directory.
>
> My web files go in /var/www/html. If your root is /htdocs, that's where I
> would put them. I'm not sure but what you may need to give permission to
> normal users to use PHP.
>
> Maybe try alt.os.linux.mandrake, a PHP or Apache group.
>
> Todd

Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember in your prayers the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly in His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/