the directory containing perl was in your PATH variable while the current directory is
not (its a security measure). the '#!' on the first line simply means that the file
contains commands to be interpreted by the interpreter following these symbols (i
think they are called magic numbers or something).

whenever executing a script/executable in the current directory, make sure of the
following

   * check the permissions, you should have read _and_ execute permissions.
   * if the current directory is not included in the PATH (type echo $PATH to check),
prepend ./ to the script/executable name (e.g. ./test.pl)

hth.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:28:24 -0500
Daniel Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079