On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:39:14 -0500
John Cichy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

> On Thursday 31 January 2002 09:19, Anuerin G.Diaz wrote:
> [snip]
> > and test.pl contained in its first line the entry (without the quotes)
> > "#!/usr/bin/test.pl"
> >
> > but when i substitute this line "#!/bin/perl"
>
> This is the correct first line of a perl script if perl resides in /bin. The
> first line of a perl script needs to contain the location of the interpreter.
>
> > i get this one
> >
> > [adiaz@Ronin tmp]$ ./test.pl
> > syntax error at ./test.pl line 5, at EOF
> > Execution of ./test.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
>
> I think you got this because there was no linefeed at the end of this first
> line.
>
> John

nope, i expected it not to compile because i know nothing about perl syntax. i just
entered an echo statement (i guess perl has another syntax for echo, hehehehe)  there
hoping to invoke the perl interpreter. since the objective was to correctly call the
perl interpreter and simulate the error messages of the original poster, i think the
dummy script served its purpose. *grin*

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079