Scott Anderson wrote:

> I'm dual booting Mandrake 8.1 and Windows XP.  When I installed
> Mandrake, I let it write LILO to the MBR, and it worked great.  I could
> boot into either one without any problems.  Then, I installed some
> security patches using the software updater thing, and suddenly I can't
> get into Linux anymore.  I can get into Windows just fine, but when I
> choose Mandrake, it says: "ebda too large" and just hangs.  I searched
> for this error message and found some people that had it saying that it
> was because the kernel was too large.  They didn't suggest any solution
> though.  It's funny that a security update could some how make my kernel
> too large...anyway, somebody know what I should do to fix this?

Scott, did you choose to update your kernel via the Software Manager ?
If you did, that's probably the reason. A little while ago there was a
thread here on the list on this issue. In short, the conlusion was :
never UPDATE the kernel. Download the new kernel and INSTALL it, then
try it out, and - eventually - delete the old kernel. This, of course,
raises the question : why is it possible to choose that option in
Software Manager at all ? - I don't know, but maybe Software Manager is
nothing more than a frontend to FTP+RPM combined. Try to search the
archive.

Kaj Haulrich