Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Scott Anderson wrote:
> >
> > I'm dual booting Mandrake 8.1 and Windows XP.  When I installed
> > Mandrake, I let it write LILO to the MBR, and it worked great.  I could
> > boot into either one without any problems.  Then, I installed some
> > security patches using the software updater thing, and suddenly I can't
> > get into Linux anymore.  I can get into Windows just fine, but when I
> > choose Mandrake, it says: "ebda too large" and just hangs.  I searched
> > for this error message and found some people that had it saying that it
> > was because the kernel was too large.  They didn't suggest any solution
> > though.  It's funny that a security update could some how make my kernel
> > too large...anyway, somebody know what I should do to fix this?
> >
> Scott, did you choose to update your kernel via the Software Manager ?
> If you did, that's probably the reason. A little while ago there was a
> thread here on the list on this issue. In short, the conlusion was :
> never UPDATE the kernel. Download the new kernel and INSTALL it, then
> try it out, and - eventually - delete the old kernel. This, of course,
> raises the question : why is it possible to choose that option in
> Software Manager at all ? - I don't know, but maybe Software Manager is
> nothing more than a frontend to FTP+RPM combined. Try to search the
> archive.
>
> Kaj Haulrich

OH, and I forgot : how to fix it ? Well here's a quote from the archive
:

Boot with the 1st Mandrake CD as if you're going to install ML and when
you
get to the bit where you choose the installation type, choose "Expert"
and
"Update" (NOT "Install") - read carefully.  Then continue without
choosing
any software packages and it will install the original kernel again.
You
should be right from there on.

Kaj Haulrich