No flame intended,

> so hang on, backup (pun intended) and tell us just what you are doing and
> why.

I want to backup the system ( meaning the whole system / , and /home
included )
because i'm very tired of reinstalling ( no negativity intended just
trying to be honest ) every time I try to update something and it breaks
something else, or i try to install some app which is supposed to work
with my distro, ( LM 8.0 stock kernel 2.4.3-20mdk ) I have everything
working well now and have only to install a new scsi card ( ava aha-2906
) when it gets here to try and get my umax astra 600s ( scanner )
working.

I want to an extreme degree to not have anything windows on by box. and
have been using Mandrake for three years or so ( maybe I'm a little
slower on the uptake  than others )
but I still have trouble with some simple things which stop me from
completely removing windows. a way to make a simple backup which i can
use to restore the system is one.

To clarify more exactly:

I have a cdrw and can use it to burn a disk, and would like to make a
linux restore cd
if possible. short of that i can backup to another hd ( There are three
in the box,
hda=windows hdc5/6/7=/,swap/home Lm8.0 hdd5=/backup )

If there is a different or simpler way tell me.

Thanks.

Ps if you knew I wanted to know how ,
It would have been nice to at least tell me something simple and basic
as others did.

Sorry , didn't mean any rudeness.

Mike