On Sunday 03 February 2002 14:20, mike wrote:
> No flame intended,
>
> > so hang on, backup (pun intended) and tell us just what you are doing and
> > why.
>
> I want to backup the system ( meaning the whole system / , and /home
> included )
> because i'm very tired of reinstalling ( no negativity intended just
> trying to be honest ) every time I try to update something and it breaks
> something else, or i try to install some app which is supposed to work
> with my distro, ( LM 8.0 stock kernel 2.4.3-20mdk ) I have everything
> working well now and have only to install a new scsi card ( ava aha-2906
> ) when it gets here to try and get my umax astra 600s ( scanner )
> working.
>
> I want to an extreme degree to not have anything windows on by box. and
> have been using Mandrake for three years or so ( maybe I'm a little
> slower on the uptake  than others )
> but I still have trouble with some simple things which stop me from
> completely removing windows. a way to make a simple backup which i can
> use to restore the system is one.
>
> To clarify more exactly:
>
> I have a cdrw and can use it to burn a disk, and would like to make a
> linux restore cd
> if possible. short of that i can backup to another hd ( There are three
> in the box,
> hda=windows hdc5/6/7=/,swap/home Lm8.0 hdd5=/backup )
>
> If there is a different or simpler way tell me.

OK, here's a few that I've found but haven't had a chance to use them yet:

There's backuponcd which is on the 2nd cd for LM8.1, sorry don't know if its
on LM8.0 cds.  The manual is installed in /usr/share/doc/backuponcd-0.9.1/.
It appears to be for backing up files, not your system.

There's also mindi and mondo.  Search for "mindi and mondo" in www.google.com
Seems to be straight-forward and once again a manual comes with it and is
installed in /usr/share/doc/mondo-1.16/.  Mindi is for backing up the kernel,
modules, tools and libraries to a bootable cd which allows you to boot from
the cd and carry out basic system maintenance in the same environment you
were in when the backup cd was made.  Mondo backs up your filesystem to cd.

Before I started using linux I used a boot manager called BootIt Next
Generation which also has partition imaging and is very easy to use.  BootIt
NG is available from http://www.TeraByteUnlimited.com and they have a 30-day
trial version.  It backs up any partition regardless of the filesystem type.
You can make the installation floppy in linux, you don't have to have Windoze
installed.  I have actually backed up and later used the cds to restore my
Windoze partition with BootIt NG and it was a breeze.

Since I've been using linux I've been using tar and burning to cds to backup
my home dir and other files.  Although I do intend to check out the
backuponcd app and run a script to do it for me while I sleep.

HTH
skinky
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works