On Saturday 02 February 2002 17:20, you spoke unto me thusly:

> No flame intended,

no problem, and i didn't and don't see it as flame, but one of the things i
find most often is people asking the wrong question cause they don't know
they are asking the wrong question.

asking "what can i use to backup" when you might be better served by answers
about something else if we only knew it.  ya never know......

once you get used to tar another option, if you find you haven't enough room
for a full backup is to (after a fresh install) make the "replication" disk.
you know where it asks if want to make an install disk that remebers
everything you just installed?  then you only have to backup changes to your
system.  after a total (and i mean _total_) failure you can use that disk,
the install cds, and the backup of your changes to get back to where you were
pretty fast.  that is pretty much just a hack job and i sure it could be done
better, but hey what works works.

not sure if you can make one of those disks after the install, maybe someone
else knows.

> Ps if you knew I wanted to know how ,
> It would have been nice to at least tell me something simple and basic
> as others did.

yeah, but sometimes, taoist that i am, i am just a jerk, what can say.  call
it a personality trait.  ;-)

> Sorry , didn't mean any rudeness.

nor did i, just holding conversation and probing a bit to see what you
actually needed to get done.

another bit of (unwanted) advise, i think you said you run 8.0.  i have used
mandrake since 7.1 and while every version brings improvements, 8.1 made the
biggest leap for me.  you might try it out and find some of the reasons you
need the backups go away.  just a thought, and best of luck.

--
Microsoft: Writing viruses has never been easier!

shane
registered linux user @ http://counter.li.org/
http://shentzu.home.mindspring.com/
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98