Strange problem

I download the source code of PHP-4.1.1 and tried to compile it in my
Mandrake Linux 8.1 This is my first time compiled a source code. I
followed the instruction in INSTALL and execute ./configure. However, no
matter how hard I tried, I could not run ./configure. I always got this
error message:

bash: ./configure: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Help me please, I am going to crazy!

Also, can anybody tell me what is "foo." I saw this word appeared quite
often in Linux document but I don't understand what it mean.

Thank you for help!

Daniel