On Thursday 21 February 2002 23:52, Franki opened a hailing frequency and
transmitted:

> Although the OS is free, alot of the tools are not yet up to the standard
> of comparitive windows apps..

though i hear this a lot from bith linux and windows supporters, i often
woder about it.  office is a good example, it looks much nicer than open
office or thinkfree or the like, and it seems to have many more tools.  but
in 6 years supporting 4 different OS and 5 different suites, 90% of the
extra tools are never used, and over 90% of my support for win/office is
"it keeps crashing, and won't restart" where even with the worst crash for
any office client on linux, it does restart.  and they _very_ rarely crash
in the first place.

which costs more to support?

> So the total cost is this.. either pay for alot of training for staff to
> learn new apps that are linux generic.. or stick with windows until linux
> version come out...

and like many companies are finding, training for the average linux app
isn't all that hard.  supporting a bunch of windows crash boxes, and
patching daily is full time work.

after all those years of support work i know windows better than linux.
cause i had to.  i never had to worry about linux once it was setup
correctly.  windows i had to reinstall regularly and troubleshot non-stop

> so getting MS apps workin is a fast track to getting on alot of
> workstations fast.

on a weekly basis there are new articles about companies/governments who
are changing from msoffice to star office or any ms, to anything else.  the
ms days are numbered

i am not disagreeing with what you say.  it is very true.  i am just
pointing out that it won't take long.

> I take my hats off to the programers that do this.. its almost harder
> then writing the apps was in the first place.

now i disagree.  almost?  it seems it would be _much_ harder.  but then i
know 0 programing.

> So while it is better to have native linux apps, we don't have access to
> the companies that write the most well known windows apps, and everyone
> knows that its the apps available that make an OS useful, (thats why osX
> for mac wasn't the default os till now.)  So untill all the developers
> start making linux versions, the quickest way to make linux a favorable
> workstation OS is to make windows apps run on it.

perhaps we also need to "standup and be counted" so to speak.  as long as
ms claims a 95% desktop share and no one gives hard facts otherwise, they
have a stranglehold.  sadly, linux users by nature reject a centralized
system, so there will never be an acurate count.

--
Linux, cause i reboot less often than windows users reinstall.....

shane
http://shentzu.home.mindspring.com/
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
http://dmoz.org/ cause humans do it better!