Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:40:14 -0600: In attempt to throw the authorities off his
trail, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> transmitted:

> What would be the command line to cdrecord an iso and make it bootable?

You have it already:
%  cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=1,0,0 MandrakeLinux-8.2beta3-CD1.i586.iso

> If I use this method would it be bootable then?

The Mandrake image should have been created using mkisofs with the 'b' flag
enabled. It's not the burn (i.e. cdrecord) that makes a disk bootable but the
process of image creation (i.e. mkisofs). From the mkisofs man page:

   -b eltorito_boot_image
              Specifies the path and filename of the boot image to be used
              when  making  an "El  Torito"  bootable  CD.  The pathname must
              be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs.  This
option              is  required  to  make  an  "El  Torito" bootable  CD. The
boot              image must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44, or a
              2.88 meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size when creating
the              output

   -c boot_catalog
              Specifies the path and filename of the boot catalog to be used
              when making an "El Torito" bootable CD. The pathname must be
              relative  to  the  source  path specified  to  mkisofs.  This
              option is required to make a bootable CD.  This file will be
              inserted into the output tree and  not  created  in  the  source
                          filesystem,  so  be  sure  the  specified  filename
does not              conflict with an existing file, as it will be excluded.
Usually               a name like "boot.catalog" is chosen.

> Or should I use gcombust or gtoaster and include an image of some sort?

You could also read the README.eltorito in /usr/share/doc/mkisofs-V.v/ , where
V is major version number, and v is minor version number for the Mandrake 8.2
release. But all you really wanted to know was "just burn the dang thing using
cdrecord, XCDroast, Gcombust or whatever!"

> If this is what I need to do, where do I get the boot image and how do I
> include it?

I'm pretty sure that all Mandrake i386 cds are bootable. The Mandrake team has
done all the heavy lifing for you. >

HTH,

- Chris