Mike,

Have you tried the graphical frontend to the cdrecord utilities? Xcdroast is
what it's called.  That may simplify things for you in the sort term.

If you do have an IDE burner, be aware that the Linux utilities need a SCSI
interface to access any burner in question.  So, if youre like me and your
burner is not SCSI, you will need to fiddle your lilo.conf to get a new boot
command line in that contains the "ide-scsi" module, so that it will preload.
This loads a SCSI command translation layer for IDE burners. There was a
thread on this a while back, I can probably find it for you if need be.