Mozy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After installing Mandrake 8.1 on a Dell Dimension XPS T500 with two IDE CD
> drives (one a CDRW) and two IDE hard drives (Western Digital and Maxtor) I
> can't get the system to boot without using a boot disk.  During the install
> Grub was supposed to have been installed in the MBR. I tried various
> partitioning schemes, I even tried using LILO instead of Grub, all to no
> avail.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have the system up and running
> just fine, I just don't like having to rely on a boot disk to boot up...not
> that I have to reboot that often. :)
>
> TIA
>
> Bryan

Bryan, IMHO Grub is not very mature, at least I had a headache figuring
it out and never got it working properly anyhow. Try this : run KDE or
Gnome, open "Control Center", become root, click "Boot", then "Boot
Config". Now, in the upper, right corner, click "Configure", select
lilo, and then the place where your MBR shall live, i.e. "/dev/hda".
Make additional adjustments to your liking, save everything and exit.
That is supposed to be all. As an extra precaution, I would open a
console, become root once again, and then type the command :
"/sbin/lilo" (everything withour the quotes,of course). The output from
lilo should tell you if everything is OK. If you have further trouble,
please post your "/etc/lilo.conf" and "/etc/fstab" to the list.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich