Mozy wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>After installing Mandrake 8.1 on a Dell Dimension XPS T500 with two IDE CD
>drives (one a CDRW) and two IDE hard drives (Western Digital and Maxtor) I
>can't get the system to boot without using a boot disk.  During the install
>Grub was supposed to have been installed in the MBR. I tried various
>partitioning schemes, I even tried using LILO instead of Grub, all to no
>avail.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have the system up and running
>just fine, I just don't like having to rely on a boot disk to boot up...not
>that I have to reboot that often. :)
>
>TIA
>
>Bryan

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Are the WD and the Maxtor on the same channel?

If so, split them and try a reinstall.  But anyway you should be aware
that WD OFFICIALLY does not support linux.  Their hardware also fakes
the CRC required for ATA/66 and higher and should be read back after
every write for data integrity verification.

GRUB is the required boot manager if you are not on the first disk with
at least /boot or /, at least for 8.1.  It appears that LILO  may be
able to handle it in its current version, finally.

Civileme