On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:18:41 -0800
Steve Weltman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are you allowing Telnet to run as a service? You can tell if you look at
> this command:
> ps -aef |grep tel*
> or try telnet to your loopback address (127.0.0.1).
> IF it's refused, you are not running the telnet server service.
> If you intend to use telnet, may I suggest using SSH (you need to load
> the SSH services and this is on the CDs from 8.1 in RPM format).  It's
> more secure and is gaining alot of popularity as a connecting protocol
> over telnet which isn't secure at all.

I guess I'm not running telnet. The output from the above command:

root         9     0  0 12:39 ?        00:00:00 [kupdated]
root       126   121  0 12:39 tty11    00:00:01
/sbin/Monitor-NewStyle-Categoriz root      1447     1  0 12:39 ?
00:00:00 /usr/lib/postfix/master todd      2345     1  0 12:43 ?
00:00:00 kdeinit: kwrited todd     12410 11885  0 14:36 pts/3    00:00:00
grep tel*

I have openssh installed, but I can't figure out how to start it. I typed
sshd and I get errors:

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting

Is there a way to start the service in Control Center, or with Webmin?

> > I'm confused as to why I can't use POP3, IMAP, and telnet. Would this
> > have something to do with my ISP (RoadRunner)?
>
> If port 25 is not open in the firewall you can't send mail to another
> machine (unless you configured your MTA to send with another port and
> that port is opened instead).  If port 110 is not opened, you cannot
> receive mail, unless you are using another port (defined from the
> upstream MTA's administrator).  You usually can find out the needs of
> the mail from your ISP (Roadrunner).  If you are configured correctly in
> your mail program(s), make sure you can open the ports on your firewall
> software (Tiny Firewall) for the above mentioned ports) on an INCOMING
> ACCEPT and OUTGOING ACCEPT basis.

I'm running Postfix and don't have any trouble sending or receiving mail
here. Could Postfix be interfering with something?

> The telnet sessions may be blocked from outgoing by your firewall (port
> 23) and depending on your destination, could be blocked there as well.
>
> I recommend that you read the firewall-howto and ethernet-howto so you
> can see in clearly defined terms where I am saying to open this port and
> that port.

Will do. Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Slater
The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately...