At 10:18 AM 03/02/2002 -0800, Steve Weltman wrote:
>On Saturday 02 March 2002 09:53 am, you wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up Squirrelmail so I can have access to my mail via web
>> interface. It requires IMAP, which I believe I have running, but when I
>> try to log in I get an error about contacting the mail server. I had my
>> ports probed and that revealed that POP3 and IMAP are closed.
>>
>> I checked my Tiny firewall config and I have told it that I am running a
>> mail server. I also told it I want to allow telnet, but when trying to
>> telnet I get a connection refused.
>
>Are you allowing Telnet to run as a service? You can tell if you look at
this
>command:
>ps -aef |grep tel*
>or try telnet to your loopback address (127.0.0.1).
>IF it's refused, you are not running the telnet server service.
Actually, if it is refused there are several possible problems:

1.  It isn't installed.  Do an "rpm -qa | grep telnet" and verify that
telnet-server is installed.

2.  It isn't being run.  Check the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file to make sure
that it is not disabled.  Also run "/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd status" to make
sure that xinetd is running.

2.  It is being blocked by the firewall on the box.  Check your firewall
config.

3.  It is being blocked via hosts.deny .  Take a look at /etc/hosts.deny
and /etc/hosts.allow .

>If you intend to use telnet, may I suggest using SSH (you need to load the
>SSH services and this is on the CDs from 8.1 in RPM format).  It's more
>secure and is gaining alot of popularity as a connecting protocol over
telnet
>which isn't secure at all.

The telnet installed by default in Mandrake 8.1 isn't secure, although
there is a package somewhere for stelnet (I think that's the name) -- or a
telnet going through an ssh tunnel.  Of course, I would tend to agree that
telnet isn't the most secure way of doing things.

>> I'm confused as to why I can't use POP3, IMAP, and telnet. Would this have
>> something to do with my ISP (RoadRunner)?
>
>If port 25 is not open in the firewall you can't send mail to another
machine
>(unless you configured your MTA to send with another port and that port is
>opened instead).  If port 110 is not opened, you cannot receive mail, unless
>you are using another port (defined from the upstream MTA's administrator).

Nope.  110, which is pop3, is for remote access from a client to the
mailbox on the server.  It has nothing to do with the "delivery" of e-mail.
 Delivery of e-mail either when it is being sent or *received* is processed
through smtp (which is handled, depending on your setup, by postfix,
sendmail, qmail or something else).  You can and should have 110 closed to
the outside world (since it sends in plain text, just like telnet), leaving
it open to just your internal network.

(See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/POP2.html as well as
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SMTP.html )