----------  Mensaje reenviado  ----------

Subject: Re: [newbie] installing rpms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:57:46 -0300
From: Carlos Gatabria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > my home drectory and then in a console do the following:
> >
> > rpm -ivh name-of-app.rpm
> >
> > The ivh means: Install Verbose Hash
>
> Brian - thanks very much for your excellent step by step guide - much
> appreciated! I followed the instructions to the letter, but what I got at
> the console was a list of the various commands that could be used by rpm. I
> looked in every single directory, and couldn't find the gaim entry, and
> found a gaim directory in the usr/local list that was completely empty! I
> am cursing with frustration here - and definitely without a clue!!! Can you
> or anyone enlighten me?
> Thanks in advance
> Heather

Heather, have you tried Kpackage? maybe it's of some use here.

it has a tree view of all packages installed, sorted by kinds of applications
( i.e. system, instant messaging, etc ) if Gaim is installed, you will
see it there, ( you can also go to find --> search packages, search for gaim
 )

when you find it, click on it. On the other side of the window you'll see
some info about the rpm ( version, etc ) and a "show files" button.
click on that button and you get a list with full name with path to all
files installed by gaim.

the gui way to do stuff is usually a bit more intuitive, when the console way
gets messy...

hth

damian