Hi Heather

There's a nice feature in Kpackage called 'Find Package'. On toolbar just
hit the find button (or from keyboard Ctrl-F), fill in the name of the
package and click 'Find'. If you don't remember the full name just type
for example "gai" (no quotes) and it finds all packages whose name
contain "gai". If nothing is found then it's not installed. If the
package is found you can then check the properties and the list of files
that the package contains.

Now that you have found the file (probably in /usr/bin/gaim) you can
create a link to desktop just by browsing (in Konqueror) to the file and
(mouse left) click-n-drag the file to desktop, release the mouse button
and select "Link Here".

If the search gives no results, just install the package. Open Konqueror,
search the package you downloaded, click that file (Kpackage should start
now automagically) select 'Install'. If you are logged in as normal user
it will ask for root password. Type root password and hit enter: That's
it. To verify that the installation was successful, use the 'find
Package' function (refresh the Kpackage view first).

Cheers
J.

--snip--