Heather,

Just to close the loop on this...

I see from a later post that you got it installed.  Congrats on that!
I'm confused regarding the:

"what I got at the console was a list of the various commands
that could be used by rpm"

Which command caused this?  Presumably an rpm command I guess, but what
was the rest of the command line.

As you have seen from some other responses, there are always many ways
to do things in linux.  I would like to enter one more vote for the
console, as it makes exactly what is going on very clear, or at least
provides nice error messages that you can mail to this list for
explanation ;-)

cheers
Brian