On Tuesday 12 March 2002 21:18, you wrote:
> Is it just *ME*!?
>
> I tried the suggestion for doing an update install of the Mandrake 8.1 and
> the whole thing went *HAYWIRE*!
>
> For some reason, it still wanted to mess around with *partitions*!   I got
> mixed up and must've clicked the wrong button and it destroyed my
> partitions set up... Totally unrecoverable!... My regular windows boot
> couldn't even *see* the C:\ drive!
>
> I lost GIGABYTES and GIGABYTES of data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> For the past 4 hours I have been salvaging my machine.
>
> I am up and running again (thanks to a recent move to making backups of at
> least *some* of my stuff) Oh, but the *LOSS*!!!!!   :o(
>
> I *really* want this to work... but I can't help feeling I'm just a dumb
> prick to be meddling in things beyond my ken!
>
> But... on the positive side, I have a fresh new machine, with 10 GIGABYTES
> of free space on it (where before I had around 200MB)... and I'm at the
> stage where I can do a 'from scratch' install of Mandrake 8.1 (hopefully
> with some guidance so as to avoid another mishap... or disaster mor like).
>
> I want to re-install... but I'm totally scared I blow it all to hell
> again.... At least now I've a *lot* less to loose.
>
> Oh Man.
>
> That really freaked me out.
>
> PV.

Kidding about being clueless, but now post your partition setup. You can do a
"df" in a control panel. It will show you your partition setup if you didn't
already know that.  You can highlight it and then in a new email message  get
the cursor on an empty spot in the message box and click the middle button of
you mouse, that should paste it in the message. If you don't have a middle
button click both right and left at the same time and that will do the paste.
(just in case you didn't know that) Then we can give you abit better advice
maybe on reinstalling and setting up your system. HTH
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842