On Wednesday 13 March 2002 23:53, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi there:
> I am an old windows user that is tired and sick of Microsoft's policies. So
> I turned to Linux and I now Love this OS and the open source community. I
> only have one problem with Linux and that's the ease of use. I used to use
> Red Hat 7.1 for a couple of months and then I found out that it wasn't for
> me. I was able to find my way trough KDE but couldn't play my VCDs for
> example. Also I never understood tar files. Now I'm in search for the
> easiest Linux Distro. I really don't too many software packages or
> stability ( any Linux Distro is Stable comparing to Windows). I just need
> the easiest to use Distro. I found out that Mandrake is the Distro that
> everybody says suits my needs. But I also found out that there is a Company
> named Lycoris ( formerly known as Redmond Linux) that is making a Distro
> called Desktop/LX. As far as I can see it's very easy to use. It is very
> user friendly for  windows users and it use WINE ( by default) and also
> play DVDs and VCDs Automatically ( I really like this). As far as I can see
> other than Documentation there is no clause for me to use Mandrake.( also
> I'm a little concerned about mandrake soft's financial problems). Maybe
> this is not the right place to ask this question because it is a Mandrake
> mailing list. But I really can't make up my mind in this mater. I am going
> to buy One of these distros in about a week. Please help me in this. Linux
> eager Newbie

First thing - don't buy Mandrake just yet, wait until 8.2 comes out (which
should be very soon).

I don't know what DVD/VCD software will be included in 8.2, ut in general the
situation is better than it used to be.  If nothing in Mandrake serves your
needs, there are other downloadable video applications.

I don't know much about Lycoris - visited their site about a year ago.  they
seemed more geared towards business than home users, but that may have
changed.

As for the financial thing, I bet some people at Mandrakesoft are wishing
they'd never sent that  mail!  As far as I can see, Mandrake's long-term
prospects are at least as good as any other major distro, they're just short
of cash at the moment and don't want to have to lay off developers (which in
the IT world is an unusually humane response.  If I were rich, or even
drawing a normal First World salary, I'd support them financially; as it is,
I just propagandise!  Buy Mandrake! Buy Mandrake!

Seriously though, if Lycoris is available as a free download or cheap CD
order (check out Cheapbytes), why not try both and see which one you like?
This is a luxury we have in the Linux world - can you imagine someone saying
"Well, I wasn't sure whether to upgrade to XP or stick with ME, so I bought
XP just to try it out?"  In contrast, I rememeber Cheapbytes doing a special
offer of about half a dozen distibutions at $1 each!

Robin