I have a small issue that may be interrupt related.  I have XMMS playing
(always).  At a change of track, it will sometimes stop and issue a
message telling me that the sound card is not available and that I
should check that I have the correct plugin loaded.  Click OK and play
again and I'm back in business.  This can happens every third track, or
every third day depending on what mood it's in.

Now I have a couple of ideas on this.  Anyone care to comment?

1. It only happens on change of track, so I guess XMMS does some
release/acquire of the sound card at that point.

2. cat /proc/interrupts shows:

 10:      83875          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, ICE1712

i.e. my sound card (that's the ICE1712) is sharing interrupt 10 with the
usb interfaces.

That's the only interrupt that is being shared.

Now I know interrupts can be shared, but I wouldn't think that it's a
good thing for a sound card.

So:

1. Any votes for or against the notion that this is likely to be the
cause of XMMS's hiccups?

2. How do I go about changing this?

USB is not in use on this machine, so just disabling that is an option.
That is, it's not in use under Linux because there seems to be no way I
can get my scanner to work - not a SANE support device.  No matter.
There has to be some reason to have that dual boot XP parition there
right?  In other words, I am happy to dispense with USB as far as the OS
goes, but not disable it in the bios.

OTOH there are several interrupts free, so just moving either the USB or
the sound card is probably the better option.

One last point of info: This is a multi-channel sound card that requires
ALSA 0.9 beta5 or greater to work - I'm using beta 10.  Forget about any
configuration of this card in any of the GUI's.  They don't know about
it.

TIA
Brian