Thanks Bill,

I checked under W$ and it's running the card at irq 5, so I added the
line:

options snd-card-ice1712 irq=5

to modules.conf.  modprobe fails after that with:

/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/misc/snd-card-ice1712.o: invalid parameter
parm_irq

I think maybe I'll have to re-install the alsa driver as it sounds like
something in the way it was set up is dictating the irq.  If you have
any more thoughts they are welcome.  Otherwise I'll re-read the alsa
docs and look in that direction.

thanks again
Brian