In windows you need a firewall software, in Linux you don't. Linux has IPTables which
is built into the system/kernel if you have it installed. 'rpm -q iptables' will tell
you if you have it installed. The firewall is different to Windows as much as the
firewall is defined by a set of rules. You will need to understand a little about what
services you need, port 110/pop3 etc. But with a basic setup you can 'drop' all
inbound request unless the inbound traffic was initiated by a request from inside your
box.

I posted to either the newbie/expert list a couple of months ago a basic rules list
explaining each section basically.

Other options are scripts which build the rules based on a number of questions you are
asked. Options include 'Bastille project' but remember that the best firewall is the
one where you wrote the rules.

Do not be put off by the thought of learning a little scripting, get the HOWTO on
IPTables, look in the archive for these mailing lists, and put your own together. ;-)=<

HTH, Dave

> Orinal Message:
Hi there:
Well thanks all of you guys for your answers about the WINE thing. I really didn't
expect to learn about WINE so much in just one day. I went to the codeweavers website
and downloaded the Demo version. It really works nice and it met my expectations. If
I'm am going to learn Linux with this pace, I will definitely delete my windows
partition soon.
I have another question. When I used to use Windows, I used a Firewall called Zone
Alarm. It really was a fine product. It was freeware and it gave me the security that
I needed. Now I want to use a firewall in Linux and I don't know what to use and how
to use it. The best part about Zone Alarm was that it was very easy to setup and use.
I have a dial up connection so I don't have a static IP address and zone alarm did
provide the security that I needed ( It passed Steve Gibson's test at www.grc.com and
that is all I need) I know that there are plenty of firewalls out there but they seem
to be for experts. is there any easy to use firewall for Linux? if so where can I get
it? again maybe a URL will help.
Thanks
Linux registered user # 266090
Aryan