John Lynch wrote:

> I downloaded Mandrake, opened it up, burnt it onto a cd like it told
> me to, then it asks me if I want to read a guide, or create a boot
> disk create a boot disk.
> I can't work out how to edit the BIOS on my computer to read from the
> CD (when I restart it and press F8 when it reads the floppy it brings
> me to a set of options, none of them edit the boot disk.)
>
> SO I create a boot disk.
> Restart my computer, and it reads off it, then says failed boot.
>
> WHAT am I doing wrong?
> I followed the instructions, copied over the cd img file like it said,
> and it still don't work.
>
> I have a CD burner (E: drive) and a DVD rom (D: drive)
>
> what do I do?
>
> thankyou for helping me.
>
> John

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, slow down and take a deep breath, first.

Do you see a screen that shows a memory test when you are first starting
your computer?

If so, look arouns on that screen and see if it it says "Hit DEL for
Setup" or words to that effect.  It might instead ask for F1 or F10 or
even ESC, but it will give you a 5-second window to go to configuration.

THen you can navigate around.  It will have some location which will
offer you boot device ordering, showing the first as floppy, the second
as HDD-0 the third as CDROM or something like that.

Move CDROM to the first....

Save and Exit

then put CD1 in and reboot.

Civileme