El vie, 22-03-2002 a las 22:57, John Lynch escribió:
> I downloaded Mandrake, opened it up, burnt it onto a cd like it told me to,
> then it asks me if I want to read a guide, or create a boot disk create a
> boot disk.
> I can't work out how to edit the BIOS on my computer to read from the CD
> (when I restart it and press F8 when it reads the floppy it brings me to a
> set of options, none of them edit the boot disk.)

you are a bit mistaken here. what you need to do is, at BIOS startup
( the very begginning of it, when it counts up the RAM and detects
 cdrom drives and stuff..) right there, you press DEL key, or F2,

( below all that you will see something like "Hit DEL to enter SETUP")

In there you gotta find the boot sequence settings. then you
have to put CDROM as your first boot device. from this moment on,
you computer will try to find a boot record in your cdrom, and if a
bootable CD is inserted it will boot it.

> SO I create a boot disk.
> Restart my computer, and it reads off it, then says failed boot.
>
> WHAT am I doing wrong?
> I followed the instructions, copied over the cd img file like it said, and
> it still don't work.
>
> I have a CD burner (E: drive) and a DVD rom (D: drive)

you can tell which one is looking boot records in, the light on the
drive will blink as it tries to find a bootable CD.

> what do I do?
>
> thankyou for helping me.
>
> John

Damian