John Richard Smith wrote:

I can report being on desktop in Mandrake 8.2
Not without problems though.
first boot ( I had "nobiospnp" in /etc/lilo, drakeX/lilo install allowed me)
was a Yes , Yes, Yes, Yes, to many text message questions, most of
which concerned entities I know not much about.
Unknown bridge 0: assuming transparent
INIT:Version 2.83 blah,blah,blah.
-------------------
Those are normal boot-up messages, showing hardware problems found and
workarounds implemented...
-------------------
God awful blood red desktop colour ,I couldn't live with that very long.
Soon had it looking presentable
-----------------------------------
The poison red screen is for those who login as root. You can format C:
any old time in windows, but here in this OS only root can do that
equivalent, so we needed a tiny reminder for those who were running as
root in GUI mode. In the end we elected a subtle tinting of the
background to remind folks they were in full danger mode.

Don't run as root unless you need to. That is why we did that. Your
normal user login shows a much less garish shade.

-----------------------------------

As my install was CD1 only (all I have been able to download
yet-CD2 later) I am missing much.

However there are problems, much the same as those regarding LM8.1

namely :
No sound (via 8233 MoBo chip)ALSA Driver.
I cannot find sound mixer just yet, seems to be missing.

USB printer nonfunctional. ( I suspect the source of the original
install problem in second stage install) and where as LM8.1 did
successfully detect and sometimes install printer , some of the
time during OS install , you could always
tell when it would succeed because printer drake came up with
the
/dev/usb/lp0 device line. When it failed , it comes up
with /dev/lp0
The Model=Lexmark Z53 (Cups drivers = 2no, lexmark driver =1no.)

I tried Control center(the icon with the small screen covered
in green fungus) -system--print manager and enabled all three
driver entries (removed the red mark with right-mouse/down to
enable) but alias no good.

I tried control center(big blue desktop icon)- hardware-
printer. I played around a bit in there. Doesn't seem to
do much for me. I cannot find kups , seems to be not installed,
where I usually configure print page parameters.(eg borders,
resolution and many other bits,besides affording a test page)
---------------------------------------
(Actually you need CD2 and to have printing installed during install OR
you need to
open a terminal, su to root and run printerdrake which will call in the
packages you need)
---------------------------------------
So then , progress of a sort. It is certainly nice to be on desktop
looking at
the real thing , but still have problems to overcome. Sound is it's
perfidious self, I never really overcame the erratic nature of sound in
in LM8.1 it was not all due to mixer unmuting and never worked at all
on a straight reboot without shutdown, and so really I am not too supprized,
however I did think the printer ought to of been detected properly, I think
there is a problem with USB device detection and that perhaps the
problem I am experiencing is a symptom of a wider problem to do with USB
device detection.

---------------------------------------
usb detection on certain motherboards will not occur during install
because we don't have a full set of drivers (USB2 turned out to be less
comprehensive than advertised), and of course without help from your
BIOS, you have to wait until the kernel modules for the full system are
installed. Once you are running, you should gfind detection of USB
devices as soon as you plug them in.

One further last point I am dual booting LM8.1 with LM8.2
Now THAT is an accomplishment! If you care to explain how you configured
that, I bet others would like to know. My explanations seem to overpower
people in that regard.
many thanks

John

PS. this is becoming a long thread, perhaps we could shorten it next go.