Jim Dawson wrote:

>I created a directory '/home/shared' to use for a shared nfs/samba mount
>point. (/home is the only partition I have large enough for the shared
>area, plus I can back up the shared directory along with home
>directories by simply backing up /home.) I changed the group ownership
>to 'shared' and assigned the appropriate members to the 'shared' group,
>and issued a 'chmod 770 /home/shared' to allow the 'shared' group full
>access to the folder.
>
>At first the members of the shared group could access the directory
>fine, however after a while the folder was no longer accessible and I
>noticed that the permissions had reverted back to '700'. The directory
>was accessible again but the permissions reverted back to '700' shortly
>thereafter.
>
>What could be causing the permissions to change on their own? I am
>running Mandrake 8.2 and I set the security level to 'high' during
>installation.
>
>Thanks in advance.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

msec is a system that goes around tying up loose ends.  You might want
to check the cron jobs running msec scripts and see.  Usually under the
higher security levels it changes permissions on certsain types of files
that would otherwise be gateways for intrusion.  You may need to
customize the script a little to avoid what you want to leave open.

Also check root's mail.  YOu should have been notified there as this
permission was changed.

Civileme