On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 15:15, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Bill Davidson wrote:
> > I seriously doubt it. NetBEUI is an old protocol that Microsoft hardly
> > supports anymore. If at all.
> > On Wednesday 03 April 2002 05:53 pm, Wally wrote:
> > > Is there a way to get my Mandrake 8.1 laptop to see my Windows desktop
> > > using NetBEUI? Can't use TCP/IP at the moment because the desktop's ip
> > > is assigned via the cable modem.
>
> Two points:
>
> To Bill: IMHO, the bigger question is whether Linux can support NetBEUI
> -- I know NetBEUI works in Win95, and I'm fairly certain it works in
> Win98, and is probably still supported in more recent versions.
>
> To Wally: The fact that the desktop's IP is assigned via the cable modem
> should not necessarily prevent you from seeing the Windows desktop.  I
> think there are ways to assign two IPs to the same network card, and
> there was a post about this not too long ago on either the newbie or
> expert list.
>
> IIRC, civileme described the setup as the poor man's router (although I
> may have that mixed up with another thread).
>
> Randy Kramer

There is a thread on the expert list and another on the cooker list
explaining how to assign more than one IP to a single card, but it
really is better to activate connection sharing and use two cards for
security reasons as well as fewer network collisions.

NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface) is not a Microsoft exclusive;
it was in fact developed by IBM in the 1980s.  No support nor is ther
likely to be.  Instead of approaching the security problem by creating
an entirely different network, TCP/IP was used locally.  This is secure,
because the IP addresses reserved for local networks will not be relayed
by an internet router.  It is also capable of higher security levels
using ssh connections.  So

1.  There is no need for NetBEUI in linux.  It is possible of course to
resolve IPs to NEtBEUI names with

nmblookup -U xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa -A   #(Yes install Samba)

And LinPopup is available for WinPopup type apps.

There was an announcement by Network Storage Manufacturer Procom in May
of 2000 that they would have NetBEUI for linux and that it would be
available for download.  A search of http://www.procom.com does not find
any current news of the product.

2.  There is no impetus to write a WHOLE NEW SET of tools to do
communication across a different network.  Remember the mailbox is used
for the next desk over and Outlook is used for the internet in
Microsoft.  Two mailing systems to learn for the power of one, is what a
so-called secure local network costs in M$.  At least that is how some
Microsoft users explained it to me.  The last time I really worked with
M$ software was about the time NetBEUI matured and was not updated--like
about 1997.

Civileme