> Is there a way to get my Mandrake 8.1 laptop to see my Windows desktop using
> NetBEUI? Can't use TCP/IP at the moment because the desktop's ip is assigned
> via the cable modem.

Wally,

I have a similar situation, but with LM on the notebook and W2k on the
desktop.
( my notebook doesnt travel alot theough ).

Like someboy here suggested in the theread,I also suggest that you make LM
your gateway to the internet,you cna do that either by:

1) using internet connection sharing from Mandrake control center.
2) Or by editting the /etc/Bastille/bastille-firewall.cfg file in case you are
running bastill ofcourse ( and you can know if you are running bastill or not
either by looking for a line that says: starting bastille firewall [OK] or by
running the command ( as root: "/etc/rc.d/init.d/bastille-firewall status" in
the console ( u should see a set of lines scrolling through the screen if it
is working ).

read my thread on this where LOTS of this List's Knights helped me out on this
:)
it was under the name:  [newbie] iptables / ipchains / bastille ??!! you will
find some of the files that need to be configured and some very usefull info.

but even without making linux your gateway, I belive you can still make win
your gateway with little effort,( I heard that from somebody , yet I'm not
aware of how much is this little effort :)

Good Luck.

Hanan AL-Shargi