Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>Currently, my drives are set up as follows:
>Primary master (hda) - old, slow, and possibly flakey IDE. Win98SE only
>with two FAT32 partitions
>Primary slave (hdb) - nice ATA100 IDE. Mandrake 8.1 with /, /boot,
>/home, /swap, /archives partitions -- some Reiser and some ext2.
>Secondary master (hdc) - CD-ROM
>Secondary slave (hdd and scd0) - CD-RW
>
>I just bought a new Maxtor ATA 133 IDE HD to replace the windows drive. The
>plan is to move my current windows installation to it. (Yeah, I know, but
>there's some stuff that doesn't work in Linux.) I've done this before and
>it's worked well. I'll have about 10 gb free space there for future use.
>
>Problem: Maxtor wants each of the two hard drives to be set up as the master
>on separate channels. My concern is that Mandrake will move from hdb to hdc,
>and the CD-ROM goes from hdc to hdb. Is this going to create problems, or is
>there a simple way to do this? FWIW, a complete 8.1 reinstall wouldn't be all
>that big a deal, but if there's a simpler way I'd like to hear about it.
>
>-- cmg

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

OK

just edit /etc/fstab and substitute /dev/hdc for /dev/hdb wherever you
see it, then makecertain your CD drives are correctly identified then
put the drive in as master on channel 1 and boot from the install CD
with F1 and the splash screen and typing "rescue" without the quotes

do the root mount provided from the rescue then

edit /etc/lilo.conf

change the root devices there to point to the proper partitions on drive
c then

/sbin/lilo

If that seems complicated, a fresh install is a good option--don't
format /home.

Civileme