On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:25:13 -0600
"Blood Slap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I didn't see that v42 there, but here's my config files are attached.

Your XF86Config-4 looks OK.

The symptoms you described were the same a those you would have If you were using a
Rage128 and if the v4l module is loaded.
Just for a little background 8.2 use the Gatos ati2 drivers and it is confirmed by
gatos that v41 must be disabled when using their driver and the rage128.

If you are dual booting are you also suffering the lock-ups in the other OS?

To test if it is X that is causing your lock-ups # out the entry for 'dri" in your
XF86Config-4, reboot, and see if they still occur.

There is some variation in the 128 chip being used on some cards (this is why the
question about Mobility or Pro.)
On these cards dri must be disabled.

I have 8.2 running with an  ATI Xpert2000 which uses the rage128 chip, 3d games run
without problem and it does not suffer from lock-ups.

In the event that your problems stem simply from a glitch in the installation you
might consider reinstalling as an Upgrade, in pkgs selection verify that Mesa and All
libMesa pkgs are installed, you need them for 3d games to run properly, and then let
the installation configure X using 4.20 with 3d hardware accel.

    Charles