-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Hakan Duran
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 11:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] problem with individualization

Hi everybody,

I have a P133, 128 RAM box running happily in a dual boot environment with
Mandrake 8.1, kernel 2.2.19-19mdksecure, kde2.2.1 and windows95.

The problem started when I change the system settings in terms of language,
fonts (console and X-windows) and keymaps, to Turkish, since I joined the
translation team.  This did not take too much effort surprisingly (to me at
least), however I noticed some problems afterwards, to which some people
here may suggest some solutions hopefully:

1. Everything (fonts, keymaps, etc.) is OK for kde.  Local messages, menus
are all OK.  However, gnome does not display special characters of this
language at anywhere (menus, dialogs, error messages, etc.), although the
font and keycode (ISO-8859-9) are set appropriate.  One of the Turkish gurus
has told me that might be because this version of gnome does not convert
UTF-8 to ISO-8859-9.  This problem is supposed to be resolved in gnome 2.0
she added.

2. All of the mandrake tools (everything in mandrake control center, such as
menudrake, harddrake, etc) has the same problem with gnome.  All the special
characters are replaced by "?", even if they run under kde.  Moreover,
rpmdrake never installs, updates or upgrades any package anymore!  Whenever
I try to do so, it returns with the packages are bad, regardless of the
source (ftp site, cdroms, etc).  This is rather strange, because I could not
resolve the problem by reverting the changes for language step by step
(fonts, keymaps, local messages, etc.).  OK, I did not revert everything
back to English all at the same time, but the only combination I didn't try
was that.

I believe this is a serious problem, unless my rpmdrake was corrupted by
another mechanism simultaneously, by chance.  I am ready to try any
suggestions made.

Thanks in advance,

Hakan

---