I have built a twin 1GHz P111 box, using an Abit VP6 motherboard.  I
installed Mandrake 8.2, and followed the HowTo to rebuild the kernel
with multiprocessor support.

When the machine boots up, the initial boot screen shows that 2 CPUs
are present, and using dmesg to view the Linux boot text I get the report:

Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.1
    Virtual Wire compatibility mode.
OEM ID: OEM00000 Product ID: PROD00000000 APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
Processor #1 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
I/O APIC #2 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
Processors: 2

A liitle further down it shows the first processor being initialized, but not
the second.

After logging in,

cat /proc/cpuinfo

only shows one CPU.

Does anyone know what my problem is, and how I can coach Linux to
recognize my second COU.

All help gratefully received.

Andrew Tuson