Norman,

You don't need to edit boot.ini  LILO will boot XP for you.  Did you
install XP first or second?  If Linux went in last, your boot loader
install should have given you a lilo entry for both XP and Linux.  If
this isn't the case (sounds like it), then you can either add whatever
lilo entries are not there manually and then run lilo as root, or you
can boot off the install cd again, select expert and upgrade, and let
the installer fix it for you.

Here is my /etc/lilo.conf in case you want to do it the first way:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount quiet"
        vga=788
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windoze
        table=/dev/hda

This is for 8.1, so devfs is switched off.  You will probably want to
leave it on with 8.2

All you need is two entries like those above pointing as the right
partitions and you will be in business.

HTH
Brian