you have to put /boot on /dev/hda, I put my in the first 150mb of my hard
disk and then I created a Partition for Windows XP about 5gb and then the
rest is for Linux

/
/home
/var
/swap
/tmp

etc...  and then I use LILO as my boot manager.  Also make sure you use
FDISK to make the 150mb partition active or else LILO won't load.  At least
this is what I had to do.

As for editing the boot.ini

As 'root', edit '/etc/lilo.conf': the first line of lilo.conf reads
boot=hda, change the 'hda' to where ever the '/boot' partition is located
(find out with mount).

Run lilo

Make a copy of the new boot sector with
dd if=/dev/hda[x] bs=512 count=1 of=linux.lnx
Note: 'hda[x]' is whatever the '/boot' partition is.

Copy linux.lnx to the windows 'C: drive'
cp linux.lnx /mnt/windows_c

Modify the 'boot.ini' on the 'C: drive' by appending a line for Mandrake
pointing to the location of the copied LILO boot sector:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=C:\
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro"
/fastdetect
C:\= "Microsoft Windows 98se"
C:\Linux.lnx="Mandrake 8.0"

Reboot.

Login to Win98SE. Open a command line window and run:
fdisk /mbr
to restore the Windows boot sector.