On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:00:58 -0800
civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seedkum Aladeem wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have multiple version of some packages installed. I want to uninstall the
> >older version but the KDE "Software Manager"  crashes when trying to do
> >that.. I have, for example, the  "e2fsprogs-1.27-1.1mdk.i586.rpm" and the
> >"e2fsprogs-1.26-1.1mdk.i586.rpm" on my system by the "Software Manager". When
> >I select the 1.26 version in "Software Manager" and click uninstall, the
> >"Software Manager" program just disappears from the screen and I do not have
> >any error messages from it.
> >
> >When I use the "Package Manager" to do the uinstall instead, it does not
> >crash but it gives me the following message :
> >[root@grumpy seedkum]# rpm -e  e2fsprogs;echo RESULT=$?
> >error: "e2fsprogs" specifies multiple packages
> >RESULT=1
> >
> >When I give the rpm command from the command line I get the following
> >[root@grumpy seedkum]# rpm -e e2fsprogs-1.26-1.1mdk.i586.rpm
> >error: package e2fsprogs-1.26-1.1mdk.i586.rpm is not installed
> >
> >How do I go about cleaning the mess I have?
> >
> >Thanx,
> >
> >Seedkum

oooh i'm so sorry i read this so late, i'm not up to date
with my mail...

this means that the rpm database has duplicated entries.
commandline rpm can't handle them. software manager can't handle
them either, and, of course, kpackage .. well.

however i found that gnorpm does get them right.
inside gnorpm, run a search for the package name. you
will get two ( or more ) packages with exactly the same
name. you can click them individually and remove them.

next time you need to get this problem fixed, try it.

HTH in the future.

Damian