Yes. Not only is dual booting (having two operating systems on one computer) possible,
it's common. It's a great way to see if you like Linux without making a commitment. My
computers have both Windows and Mandrake 8.1, although I like Mandrake so much more
that I'll be removing Windows soon.

I haven't tried 8.2, but with 8.1 it's easy. Do not format your c drive; that will
erase your Windows. You just boot your computer from the CD-ROM drive with the
Mandrake disk 1 in the CD-ROM drive. The installer will give you the option of
installing Mandrake in the empty space on your hard drive, and take care of all the
details. It's easy.

All you need to do beforehand is make sure you have enough free space on your hard
drive. I've installed 8.1 in as little as 1 GB of free space, but I'd recommend 5 GB
minimum. It will make things easier and give you plenty of room to play and get
comfortable with Linux. I'd suggest deleting unnecessary files and applications from
Windows, and running scandisk and disk defragmenter, before installing Linux.

Welcome to Linux! Once you've tried it, you'll be back here asking how to delete
Windows and make your computer Linux only.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras