Ivo,

One more thing - Linux has a nice utility called diskdrake, which makes
it easy to shrink your existing windows partition to make room for
linux.  It runs during the install process.

Assuming that you are using W98, before you try to install, defrag the
disk ensuring that the option to "Make programs load faster...." is
switched OFF.  Having this on makes the defragger store files at the
extreme ends of the partition, making it impossible for diskdrake to
shrink it.

I have never had a problem with shrinking partitions, but of course the
caveat applies - backup all your data first!

Welcome and enjoy!
Brian