On Sunday 05 May 2002 02:48 am, Randy Donohoe wrote:
> Anybody got their IDE CDR to burn in 8.2? If so, how?
> Thanks,
> Randy Donohoe

Well Randy, of course CD-burning is essential to all of us who regularly
install new versions of linux. Personally I backup all my important files to
CD on a weekly basis. To make things easy I keep them in a dedicated
directory, so backing them up is just a few clicks away.

An exellent source for understanding the fundamentals is the
CD-burning-HOWTO. You can find it here : http://linuxdoc.org

But my guess is you have it already :  If you have installed "documentation",
go for it !

But for your convenience, here's a short version :

Most - if not all - CD-burners are ATAPI-devices and use the IDE-bus. To make
them work under linux you must "fake" that they are SCSI-devices.
Now,assuming you have connected your hardware correctly, let's take a look at
my setup as an example :

My CD-Rom ("reader/player") is connected as the "master" on the second
IDE-bus (hdc). My CD-WRITER ("burner") is connected as the "slave" on the
second IDE-bus (hdd). Accordingly, I had to edit my file : "/etc/lilo.conf"
to make everything work. Here's how it can be done :

1. open a terminal and become "root" (type "su" and, when prompted, type your
root-password)
2. open a text-editor of your choice (I prefer "Midnight Commander" - type :
mc)
3. go to /etc/lilo.conf and hit F4 to edit that file.
4. here you must make an "append"-statement (a boot-parameter to linux), like
this :
   image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=nomount "
        vga=791
        read-only
# (where hdc is my CD-reader and hdd is my CD-burner (eventually, put in your
own configuration)).
5. hit F2 to save this file.
6. hit F10 to exit "Midnight Commander"
7. still in your terminal-window as root, type : /sbin/lilo (and watch the
output).
8. type "exit" twice.
9. reboot, and you are done ! - (Eventually, you can now check the file
"/etc/fstab")

Enjoy !

A very easy-readable guide on CD-burning :
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January2002/article227.shtml