On Thursday 09 May 2002 09:26 am, Robin Turner wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 00:40, Klemm wrote:
> > Some more
> > I want to make the life easier and still have some privacy
> >
> > We have 3 users (me, my wife and my mom)
> > I use computer for  a lot of several purposes, the rest use for
> > internet and e-mail
> >
> > Can I do so that the computer automatically logs in as one user,
> > but still can keep the private things private and have some
> > authentication before opening mailbox (The rest is not so private).
> > I also might want to hide some  catalogs from the others, but thats
> > not so important.
>
> A quick dirty fix is to keep your private stuff in /root, then su and
> open apps for the command line
>
> gqview /root/klemms_naughty_pictures
>
> (of course the directory doesn't have to be root, just the owner)
>
> It won't work if you su to anything other than root, though there's
> probably a way round that.  Not good for mail/surfing though, as you
> don't want to be online as root.  Just set up a profile for yourself
> with your normal mail client, then move sensitive stuff somewhere
> else when you're finished.
>
> Sir Robin

Maybe I'm missing something here. As far as I get it, you want 3 users, each
with some privacy ? - Why not absolute privacy ?  - One of the real nice
things in Linux is just that !

I guess you have all 3 accounts set up : "/home/mom" + "/home/wife" +
"/home/yourself". (If not, do it with i.e. userdrake).

Now, check your security-settings : Control-Center --> Security --> Security
Level. I guess yours is "standard" right now. Change it to "high".

Hereafter you can open i.e. KDE file-manager, point it to /home and try to
peep into "mom" or "wife" : you can't ! - And - of course - "mom" and "wife"
can't peep into yours either. (Only "root" can do that).

That said, let's figure a common scenario : You are logged in into your own
account, playing games, downloading the latest gadget while listening to some
music. Now, enter wife. She wants to check her mail-account for an extremely
urgent message from her hairdresser. What to do ?

Instead of "su wife" from a terminal, you could have an extra "wife-account"
in your mail-client i.e. KMail. Just add her (and mom ?) in KMail -->
Configure Kmail --> Network --> Incoming Mail --> Add. Of course, you'll have
to know her user-ID and password, but you can get her mail immidiately from
your own dial-up-connection ! Print it and she rushes for the hairdresser.

In KMail you can choose to have "wife" and "mom" exluded from the normal
retrieval of mail, so you'll only get your own when clicking the
get-mail-icon. If you want your wife's, go to "file" --> "get mail in *wife*".

That way, you are somewhat priviliged, but at least you can keep everything
"for your eyes only".

Of course, sir Robin's method is another one, but IMHO messing around as
"root" is generally a bad idea.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich
Denmark