On Sun, 12 May 2002 01:00:25 -0700, Seedkum Aladeem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 09:31 pm, you wrote:
> > i586 will work on machines with a Pentium class processor or newer. That
> > is, anything newer than a 486. i686 will work on machines with a Celeron,
> > Pentium II, or newer. Thus my AMD K6 box can use RPMs for either i586 or
> > i686, but my AMD K5 box can only use RPMs for i586.
>
> Something is not right. My machine has an AMD K6-2 but the arch program Tom
> mentioned gave me i586 for the CPU. I think the arch program is probably
> mistaken.
>
> I think the difference between the i586 and the i686 is that the i686 has the
> MMX instructions and the i586 does not. I think the arch program should have
> detected a i686.

The difference is a little greater than that. Comparatively few apps use MMX, so
if your hypothesis was correct then the difference between i586 and i686 would
be almost negligible. IIRC, Intel released 3 MMX-enabled versions of the Pentium
series, running at 166, 200 and 233 MHz. i686 is a major redesign of the
Pentium, and was first seen in the Pentium Pro chip. The Pentium II and III were
simply souped-up versions of the Pentium Pro.

I believe the AMD K6 series is i586-class. In that case, the first i686 AMD chip
was the Athlon.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

What's this script doing? unzip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; gasp ; yes ; umount ;
sleep. Hint: not everything is computer-oriented. Sometimes you're in a sleeping
bag, camping out with your girlfriend.