On Sunday 12 May 2002 04:13 pm, you wrote:
> Subject: Re: [newbie] Fwd: UPDATE Can't even get beyond user name!!!
> Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 11:08:24 -0500
> From: Dennis  Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Sunday 12 May 2002 05:44 am, you wrote:
> > (Dennis - You probably intended to send to the list instead of direct to
> > me... Derek)
> >
> > >Saturday, May 11, 2002, 7:40:30 PM, you wrote:
> > >
> > >This is a classic newbuie question, but I'll ask it anyway in hope of
> > >a simple answer and Mandrake 8.2 id driving me nuts.
> > >
> > >OK, I've finally installed, after wrestling with a faulty bootable DVD
> > >and I get to a screen that asks for my user name, so I enter it
> > >perfectly correctly. I am then asked for my password; again entered
> > >perfectly, but nothing appears and I wait. Nothing. SO I press return
> > >and some routine starts and then everything stops. Is this normal or
> > >weird, or what?
> > >
> > >Maybe I need to enter some geekie command line stuff; if so, please
> > >HELP!!!
> > >
> > >With best wishes,
> > >
> > >Dave
> >
> > Hi Derek,
> >
> > Saturday, May 11, 2002, 11:58:12 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > DJ> when does this happen. After the install or during?
> >
> > After install is completed and I reboot I get the LiLo menu and I
> > select Linux which is installed on a second HD away from my Win2000
> > set up. Partitioning has all been done via Mandrake using the auto
> > button during the install/partition section.
> >
> > DJ> Is it a text screen or a graphical screen?
> >
> > Starts off as a graphical screen and then becomes a text screen as the
> > blue progress bar gets to the end, just before it asks for log in
> > details.
>
> <snip>
>
> Dave, when you get the text screen don't do anything, wait a minute and it
> should continue to boot to the graphical login screen.
> That text screen is not the last thing to pop up.  Give it a minute and see
> what happens. HTH
its also worth noting that you may not see any "return" or "echo" of some
digits when you login with the password. just type it correctly and hit
ehter. this also kinda sounds like you are have an X server problem, and the
server dies with a fatal erro,,, just ell use "exactly" what your screen
says... we can always go from there... HTH2

Ed