not sure what you're original problem was dave, but what you descibe, the :
[condyk@localhost condyk]$
is a command prompt, you type commands here, the first condyk indicates that
the user 'condyk' is logged on and the localhost is the name of the machine
that condyk is logged onto, the second 'condyk' indicates the current
directory that you are in, it is only listing the directory name not the full
path but it almost certainly refers to /home/condyk since it is standard fro
a user to logon and be put into their home directory,
if your machine is configured properly for X then you could try typing startx
at the prompt and pressing enter,
linux doesn't have to boot into a gui, you can configure mandrake either way

bascule

--
'They've given us the answers,' he [Carrot] said. 'Perhaps we can find out
what the questions should have been.'