Strange I'm sure they were missing last time I looked, however now the
symlinks are present.

I have;

dsp > /dev/sound/dsp
mixer > /dev/sound/mixer
sequencer > /dev/sound/sequencer
sequencer1 > /dev/sound/sequencer1

One thing I noticed during playing around with modules.conf is that the
module pre-installed on the system is;

/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/alsa/snd-card-via8233.o.gz

And the new VIA 1.14 module I installed recently is at;

/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudio.o

I'm guessing but I think that the kernel looks in both paths for modules?

Just in case I guessed wrong I copied snd-card-via8233.o.gz to the same path
as viaudio.o

Now when I specify snd-card-via8233.0.gz in modules.conf I still get no
audio other than CD-Audio.....but....

In Sound Mixer it lists the module as "Avance Logic AL C200/200P", checked
the mobo and it's got a Avance Logic ALC201A chip.

So I'm going to try Realtek's driver and cross my fingers :)

Andy