On Tue, 14 May 2002 17:12:14 +0100
"andyjn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Strange I'm sure they were missing last time I looked, however now the
> symlinks are present.
>
> I have;
>
> dsp > /dev/sound/dsp
> mixer > /dev/sound/mixer
> sequencer > /dev/sound/sequencer
> sequencer1 > /dev/sound/sequencer1
>
> One thing I noticed during playing around with modules.conf is that the
> module pre-installed on the system is;
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/alsa/snd-card-via8233.o.gz
>
> And the new VIA 1.14 module I installed recently is at;
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudio.o
>
> I'm guessing but I think that the kernel looks in both paths for modules?
>
> Just in case I guessed wrong I copied snd-card-via8233.o.gz to the same path
> as viaudio.o
>
> Now when I specify snd-card-via8233.0.gz in modules.conf I still get no
> audio other than CD-Audio.....but....

Well, it seems the snd-card-via8233 module loaded OK. However most
applications use ALSA's OSS emulation. To use it, as root,
'modprobe snd-pcm-oss'. Note the post-install line in the previously
mentioned URL:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hard-details.php3?F_TYPE=mother&F_ID=3282

If that doesn't work what errors do you get with which sound applications?

> In Sound Mixer it lists the module as "Avance Logic AL C200/200P", checked
> the mobo and it's got a Avance Logic ALC201A chip.
>
> So I'm going to try Realtek's driver and cross my fingers :)
>
> Andy

<snip> and good luck!

    -Frans