I allso use a gforce 4 based card ( MDK 8.2) with out the NVida drivers, just
frame buffer out of the box), and when I run the detection phase of hard
drake it drops from X but a simple ctrl+alt+f7 gets me back right where I
was. the ctrl+alt+f? (1 to 7) trick to get to a different console works and X
is not killed, just dropped from the screen.