On Sunday 19 May 2002 10:01 am, Dave Conroy wrote:
> Hi Derek, and others
>
> Well, at the final hour just as I was about to kick Mandrake into the
> 'can't be bothered trash can' I tried the 'hid' thing that Derek
> pointed me to and it worked ... this was the third time I'd tried mind
> you!
>
> So, spent a bit of time in the company of Mandrake and got to like it
> ... not up to the standard of Mac OSX, but as certainly could use it
> over Win2000. Now I just need to get my Alcatel ADSL modem working ...
> think I need to download and save to floppy or CD in Windows and then
> open Linux and install. I will shout if I get stuck.
>
> Meanwhile, thanks a bunch. Brilliant support!
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Dave

Well done Dave. You certainly had a combination of events stacked against
you.
As for the DSL modem I do not have one myself, but lots of people can help
with that.

You do not need to put files onto floppy or CD. Your Linux system can read
files on your Windows partitions.  Just browse into /mnt/windows  and you
should see all your windows files.  If the Windows partion is NTFS you will
only be able to read from it, not write to it. (Microsoft keep the file
format a secret) If the partition is FAT32 you will be able to both read and
write to it.

There is lots to learn. You will be amazed just what you can do in Linux, and
you will almost certainly break your system by poking about in the depths.
But thats OK, Linux gives you the freedom to do whatever you like, including
screwing it all up ;-)

derek