On Sunday 19 May 2002 18:46, Damian G wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2002 17:36:28 -0400
>
> Kirtis B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I was hoping that it'd be something simpler than that.  For example
> > could i use ls grep and rm together to search for all the files that
> > end in .mp3 and are less than 500k and then delete them? I'm certain
> > there is a way to do this, i just don't really know how to string the
> > commands together properly and i don't want to accidently delete my
> > entire mp3 collection. =)
> >
> > KIRT

You want to find the all the mp3 files that satisfy a criteria and delete
them, right? Well, "find" is your friend:

find . -name "*.mp3"
will list all files named *.mp3 that exist in . (i.e. the current
directory) or any subdirectory of .
Now what about the size requirement? I had a quick look at the man-page
and became wiser:

find . -name "*.mp3" -a -size -512k

The -a stands for "and", the "-512k" stands for "less than 512k".
Now all we need is to delete these files:
You can do that with find, but I find it much simpler to pipe the search
results from find into xargs:

find . -name "*.mp3" -a -size -512k | xargs /bin/rm

and this will run the /bin/rm command on the output from find, i.e. delete
all the files that find returned from the search.

Of course you have to be darn careful about this -- make sure you don't
accidentally delete all your mp3 files! Check the output from find first,
then append the "| xargs /bin/rm" part.

Narfi.